Alrighty, I'm going to try to make this quick because, let's face it, I'm exhausted after my first day with my kinders today. It was a great day and I plan to blog about it later this week when I have more time. In the mean time, I wanted to share my successful recipe....PLAY DOUGH!!! I made play dough last year for the school year and it lasted most of the year, but I honestly don't remember which recipe I used. This time I found a Kool-Aid Play Dough recipe and it smells so good and it's super soft!
Here's the recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 package of Kool-Aid drink mix (for color & smell!)
- Optional food coloring for lighter Kool-Aid flavors like lemonade
1. Pour all ingredients in medium saucepan
2. Stir everything until it is mixed well
3. Heat mixture on medium heat and stir ingredients until it comes together to form a ball
4. Remove ball and when it is cooled enough, kneed mixture until color is uniform
5. Store in airtight container or baggie
All of the ingredients stirred well together.
It will start to get clumpy as it heats up.
This is what it looks like when it is done with the heat!
And after it has been kneeded and put into a ball!
Like I said, super easy!! I made 5 different colors/flavors and two batches of each. For each batch, I got 3 really good sized balls of play dough out of it which means I have 6 baggies of each color!
I used lemonade for yellow, grape for purple, blue raspberry for blue, *clear* watermelon kiwi with added food coloring for green, and strawberry for red. The lemonade and watermelon kiwi were the two flavors I had to add food coloring to.
I know you're wondering....does the color come off on their hands? The answer is NO!!! I was so worried about that, but it doesn't! YAY!! They loved using it this morning on the first day of kindergarten! Look at some of the little smarties I have already on day 1! ;)
Okay, time for me to head to bed! My pillow is calling my name!!!! Good night all!